Saturday, April 23, 2011

Gabriel has joined our family!




Baby's Name: Gabriel Thomas Yorgason
Date of Birth: April 21, 2011
Baby's Weight: 7 lbs 5.5oz
Baby's Height: 20 1/2 inches

Due to signs of Pre-e starting, my doctor decided to induce me because I was already 39 weeks. I went in on the 21st at 7 am and was hooked up to Pitocin by 9am. My cervix was still very high and the nurse and doctor could hardly find it and I was only dilated to a 1. After a couple of hours on pitocin, it had moved down slightly and my doctor broke my water in hopes of moving things along a little faster. Several hours after that, I got an epidural (which was AWESOME) and dilated to a 2. That is where I was stuck for most of the day. The nurses and I were both worried that since I wasn't dilating any further that I might have to go in for a c-section.

By 8pm I was in tears because I was frustrated with no progress all day. The nurse came to check me at about 10pm and with surprise in her voice, said I was a 5. She came back about 15 min later and I was at a 7, and when she came back another 20 min later to check me, I was fully dilated. We waited for a little bit for the contractions to do the work to allow the baby to fully engage and with 4 sets of pushes the baby was right there. The 5th set to push him out was in between contractions. Overall, delivering was SO much easier than I had ever expected it to be. I had one tiny tear inside, but it was minor enough that the doc only put in a couple of stitches and we are doing great! Gabriel is so absolutely perfect!


1 comment: